History of Westminster
The area that came to be known as Westminster was brought to the attention of settlers in 1858 when gold was discovered there. This promise of gold convinced a lot of settlers who were coming west to settle in Colorado instead of continuing to California. Before people began to arrive in the area, this was a place where there were many antelope and buffalo.
The first permanent white settler in this area was Pleasant DeSpain, who settled here in 1870. He had property of 160 acres and this area is now referred to as DeSpain junction. In modern day Westminster, it was located where West 76 Ave and Lowell Street are located today.
The city of Westminster has a total area of about 33 square miles. In terms of demographics, most of the people living in Westminster are white – almost 85 percent of residents.
Transportation is excellent in Westminster, which makes sense, considering that it is located so close to Denver. There are several major highways that run through the city, including the I-25, US 36, US 287, SH 95, SH 121, and SH 128.
Naturally, the Denver Regional Transportation District (RTD) has buses running to and from Westminster regularly. There are also plans in the works for the RTD to build commuter rail and bus rapid transit lines that will service Westminster.
The Denver International Airport is also very close for Westminster resident, as is the Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport.
Geography and Nature
As most cities and towns in Colorado, nature is a big part of the attraction for people who decide to live there. Westminster is no different. The city has an extensive trail network and open space system.
The most popular trail system in the area is the Big Dry Creek Trail which extends approximately 12 miles and leads from the outskirts of the city to Standley Lake. The city has preserved large expanses of land and has a lot of parks within city boundaries. Westminster is also home to several very attractive golf courses.
It once had a mall, the Westminster Mall, but it was torn down in 2012 in order to make room for a new downtown area for the city.